Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Just two simple ingredients and a slow cooker can turn a piece of pork into a great summery meal. Ideal for your next BBQ party, and leftovers can be easily frozen!
Ok, ok… I know I seem to be posting a lot of recipes, and I’m not intent on making a purely cooking blog, but saying that… here’s another recipe!
Pulled Pork – Slow cooker style
A few years back, (maybe even 5/6 years ago) we got into watching “Man vs Food” for a little while, and I was loving the whole idea of BBQ food, like pulled pork… but it didn’t seem to exist over here in the U.K. – now it’s EVERYWHERE
But at the time I googled recipes for pulled pork and it’s a good old fashioned easy peasy recipe and have used this one ever since..
All you need is:
- Coca Cola (I have only tried this brand, feel free to experiment with other brands, but don’t use diet, you need the sugar in this sauce) – at least a 330ml can, but more can be added, depending on the size of the sauce added.
- BBQ sauce – again, any brand you wish! I have tried a few different brands, and found that a rich BBQ sauce is suitable for our taste, but if you want one with honey, chili etc, add it! (A 250ml bottle is best )
- Pork! – The most important ingredient of course, I tend to buy a rolled pork shoulder – get one that is suitable for your size of slow cooker. – leave the cooking string on !
The easiest recipe ever…
- Take your pork, and place it in your slow cooker
- Take your BBQ sauce, and pour the ENTIRE contents over the pork
- Take your Cola, and pour it all over the pork / BBQ sauce
Here’s a tip – if you have BBQ sauce left in the jar, and you can’t get it out, pour some cola into the jar, and back out over the pork, the cola should get any left over sauce out of the jar
DO NOT put the lid back on the jar and shake the cola!
(I learned this the hard way – a cola stained ceiling is not fun!)
Put the pork on highfor a minumum of 6/7 hours, 8 hours on slow is fine though. Throughout the cooking time, I check on it, and turn the pork now and then so every part of it is covered.
Once the cooking time is up, take the pork out, remove all the fat and discard it.
Take 2 forks, and start to “pull” – or shred – the meat. -you will end up with a whole plateful
Take the now “pulled” pork, put it into a bowl.
Skim and discard any fat from the top of the cooking sauce, and with the remaining sauce, ladle some over the pulled pork, until it is covered, but not swimming in sauce.
Ta Daa! Pulled pork! So easy.
This can be put onto buns, its delcious with coleslaw and salad, ideal to go with a summer picnic.
If you have leftovers, you can bag them up, (with extra sauce), and freeze in portions.
If you do freeze them, make sure it is thoroughly defrosted before reheating, and never reheat more than once. You should be able to store them for up to 6 months in your freezer (possibly longer – but once you taste it, they might not last long!)
I hope that you have fun making this! Be prepared to make it numerous times after you realise how easy this is to make.
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
So simple, so tasty! BBQ Pulled Pork perfect for summer
- 1 can of cola (at least a 330ml can)
- 1 jar of BBQ sauce (at least a 250ml bottle)
- Pork (rolled pork shoulder)
- Take the pork and place it in the slow cooker
- Pour the entire contents of the BBQ sauce over the pork
- Pour the entire contents of cola over the pork