How to: Remove an ink stain from a handbag lining 👜
Welcome to my first “How-To” post!
I decided to make this post because I recently acquired a secondhand bag, and the inside lining wasn’t perfect, partly due to a large ink stain on the bottom.
I did try a couple of things myself before I tried YouTube and Google, such as one of those “magic erasers” that supposedly removes marks from washable surfaces (didn’t work but took some surface dirt off), so I did a few searches and and a lot of people recommended alcohol wipes, but I didn’t have any to hand, and other people recommended hairspray – which I do have!
So here is what I found worked for me (if in any doubt try a patch test first, or if unsure you can always get it professionally cleaned)
- If possible turn the lining out of the top of the bag, so it’s easier to manipulate.
- Section off the lining with an old towel / tea towel so that any hairspray won’t get on the other parts of the bag, (I used an old tea towel)
- Spray hairspray liberally over the ink stain and let sit for about a minute
- Using an old cloth, (I used a microfibre cloth), blot / wipe the stain
- Repeat as many times as needed (it took about 3 times for me)
- After the stain disappeared, I took a sponge, dipped it in clean lukewarm water and went over the patch where the hairspray was sprayed, so that the lining wouldn’t be sticky, and let it dry out
Now, this is much better!
After drying out, preferably overnight, turn the lining back inside the bag and use as normal!
Please note, I am not a professional, this is what worked for me, do not put hairspray directly onto leather, I don’t know how that would affect it!
If you do try this, let me know how it worked! Do you have any tips for cleaning stains out that I should try ?